Steve Fruitman is one of the founding shareholders of Magellan Law Corporation. Steve specialises in business law. His areas of practice include: corporate, commercial, securities, pensions and benefits, and trust law.
Steve’s legal and mathematical training, coupled with a creative and pragmatic approach to problem solving, makes him an invaluable legal advisor. He is also known for his unwavering commitment to his clients. Steve’s clients frequently comment that he makes them feel their issues are as important to Steve as they are to them.
By leveraging the strong business relationships he has forged with local accountants, bankers, financial planners, insurance agents, realtors and, other lawyers, Steve takes a “holistic” approach to providing legal solutions to help his clients manage and grow their businesses.
Steve has extensive business law experience, in a wide range of corporate and commercial matters, including: business structures, corporate governance, purchase and sale of businesses, corporate reorganizations, private financings of equity and debt, negotiating and drafting partnership and shareholder agreements, shareholder dispute resolution, service and supply agreements, lease agreements, and a wide range of other corporate and commercial issues. Steve advises on issues relating to securities, technology, the Internet, trusts, tax and wealth preservation as well.
Steve also acts in the area of pension and benefits law, advising plan administrators, employers and pension boards of trustees on issues relating to pension plans and retirement income compensation. He also advises on pension plan governance, the division of pensions on marriage breakdown, drafting and amending of pension plan texts, and the implementation of individual pension plans.
Prior to his legal career, Steve obtained his B.Sc. in Actuarial Science and Economics. He then obtained his Associate designation from the Society of Actuaries and practised for four years as an actuary at two of the largest insurance companies in the country. Before co-founding Magellan Law Group, Steve was a lawyer at large national law firms in both Vancouver and Ontario.
Steve was born in Toronto, and moved to the Lower Mainland in 2003. An avid cyclist, Steve rides for fun, but does his part for the environment and promotes healthy living by frequently commuting by bike. He puts his love of cycling to good use by participating in the B.C. Lung Association’s Bicycle Trek for Life & Breath, a 200 km ride through the Fraser Valley. Over the last five years Steve has personally managed to raise over $13,000, part of more than $50,000 raised by the team Steve helped organise. A passionate community volunteer, Steve joined the Board of Directors for the B.C. Epilepsy Society in 2010 and the Board of Directors for the Centre for Child Development in 2011. He has also enjoyed helping youth realise their academic potential for over twenty years by tutoring kids of all ages in math and sciences.
- British Columbia, 2003
- Ontario, 2000
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION OR DISTINCTIONS
- Dean’s Honour List
- Blake, Cassels & Graydon Award for highest standing in company law
- Shibley Righton Award in Taxation for highest standing in income tax law
- Leslie V. Balogh Memorial Prize for excellence in corporate and income tax law
- Janet Stewart Award for highest standing in immigration and refugee law
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Western Ontario, 1998
- A.S.A. Designation (Associate of the Society of Actuaries), 1993
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Actuarial Science and Economics, University of Toronto, 1985
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
- Director, B.C. Epilepsy Society
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- Society of Actuaries
- Association of Canadian Pension Management
- Canadian Pension and Benefits Institute
- Fraser Valley Bar Association
- Valley Business Link
- Member of the legal team that represented the provincial government in a $1 billion sale and partnership transaction
- “Shareholders’ Agreements – An ounce of prevention…“, September 2002
- My Blog